Saturday, November 2, 2013

String Theory: Strong Fiber

The first yarn I ever spun on my wheel was alpaca fiber. It was lumpy, bumpy, uneven, and kind of awful to my critical eye. I couldn't imagine it would ever be useful for anything.


But now I realize how much I appreciate all I learned spinning that yarn and how pretty it really is. Its various textures and uneven thicknesses make a unique and lovely fabric in the end.


It's only fitting I used it to knit another first: a pair of mittens for Madyson. I decided to use a few helpful ideas from others, and then tried adding my own knowledge, and relied on a bit of luck too. I think they turned out pretty great, but then they were made with what turned out to be pretty great yarn.


Strong fiber is often deceiving in appearance, don't you think?


1 comment:

  1. I love texture and these gloves look awesome. I bet they are really warm, too.

    ReplyDelete