Saturday, September 27, 2014

Writing Contests: For, or Against?

My friend and fellow author, Emma Caruso, has entered Harlequin's "So You Think You Can Write" contest. I have mixed emotions on contests for writing.


On the one hand, if you are chosen from the multitude of writers, that's a huge ego boost for a writer, a creature that is typically riddled with self-doubt. By the same coin, constant rejection wears on a writer. It makes us doubt our entire existence in the universe and our place within society. Are we just lazy? No one who has sweated through a grueling murder scene at three a.m., flinching with every sound and constantly swearing through their teeth, would describe themselves as lazy. And yet...does society have an image of writers as people who just sit around on their laptop playing internet games and socializing on Facebook all day? Probably. After all, it is a large part of the creative process.


I, for one, support fellow writers who enter contests. More power to them, I say! I've entered a few, and have been rejected far more times than I'd like to admit, so I don't enter them anymore. I do have a new collection of horror stories related to Christmas coming out from Solstice Publishing over the next few months, to be released on per month until completion in December, and no fragile self-esteems were harmed in the creating or publishing of said stories. As yet.


That being said, if you are a fan of steamy romance, sizzling sex scenes, and sassy, curvy women snaring body building hunks (think Joe Mangianello)...then head on over to So You Think You Can Write headquarters and read the first chapter of Emma's debut novel, Not My Type. Here's a link for you, even: http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com/manuscripts-sytycw-2014/not-my-type/


Showing a new author support is always heart-warming and gratifying. Go ahead, give it a try!



Emma Caruso's debut novel, Not My Type, is due for release in December, 2014...unless she wins the So You Think You Can Write contest, in which case the release date is to be determined!

More news on my short story collection coming up in another post...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment