Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Edit, Revise, Repeat

I sent my book, Sideshow, to an editor that my stepmom knows, and received feedback yesterday. I really appreciate having a critically trained eye comb through it; there were several things I completely missed because I was too close to the story. I have a few friends that have read my *very* rough first draft and they also had brilliant suggestions that I have incorporated into this second draft.

At the same time, I think one has to take a few of the suggestions with a grain of salt. Damn. A cliche. That keeps happening...

But no really; a few suggestions for changes would have a negative effect on the story that has lived in my head for so long and is now set free. So I will leave those areas alone, and let my readers judge. 

I have spent all night editing, revising, and editing some more. I'm super exhausted but very happy with the results. And while the book is still not quite as lengthy as I would like, it's perfect for ebook format and so that is likely the route I will take. 

A couple of critiques I can't change but am extremely worried about is that A) my book is too graphic, and B)my protagonist is only nine years old, and it seems such a young heroine is undesired by adult readers. In addition, my writing of her character seems too "old" for a child of nine. But my eight year old is extremely sophisticated, and as she is my model for some of my main character's personality traits, I'm going to leave her the way she is too. You readers can decide for yourselves.

What it comes down to is this: I'm happy with the edits. I'm going to sit on it a while, and when the time is right, I will pursue publication. Until then, the circus is calling...


No comments:

Post a Comment