Friday, June 28, 2013

Not My Granny's Squares

I like to haunt Pinterest and Ravelry for patterns, inspiration, and the latest trends in yarn-y fashions and accessories. I have discovered that crocheting granny squares and assembling them into interesting items is kind of a "thing" just now. 

You know granny squares right? Everyone's grandmother must have had one of these hanging off the back of the sofa. A large, crocheted, flowery affair?

Not anymore! Here's what I taught myself to make. First I had to learn how to crochet the squares, which was tough because I'm a knitter and not typically a crochet-er. I'm learning to become bistitchual however! Then I had to find a way to bind them together; Pinterest suggested the mattress stitch or whip stitch. Then I had to make the handles and attach them, which was simple since I just crocheted them. It turned out pretty cute! I still should line it if course but I am ready to move on to the next bag, socks, or sweater....




1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I saw the cutest granny squares that had owls in them- owls are also the current thing. If you think you'd like the pattern, let me know and I will try to find it again for you.

    ReplyDelete